I mentioned on Tribesports recently that I have been experimenting with making my own running “gel” for caloric intake on those long runs I am so prone to do (every other month but this one! Several fellow runners have asked for the recipe I have come up with, but since I am mostly a “dash” of this and a “dallop” of that kind of guy, I had to sit down and figure it all out…Everything you see in the picture above is all you need:
This recipe packs a serious caloric and electrolyte replacement punch (as near as I can calculate), and the taste/texture is far superior to any other gel’s I have tried.
- 10 oz Filtered Water
- 5 TBSP (tablespoon) Chia Seeds (black or white)
- 2 TBSP Raw & Unfiltered Honey
- 1 TSP (Teaspoon) Salt ( I prefer kosher salt )
- 1/2 TSP Baking powder
- 3 TBSP Frozen Juice concentrate -(for flavor) I went with a Vitamin C fortified 100% juice brand-no high fructose corn syrup or added sugar
- Combine your Chia seeds and filtered water and let sit for an hour or so…the Chia will naturally gel when soaked in water…you can add more Chia later to add more consistency
- Add honey and stir until dissolved thoroughly
- Add Salt and Baking Powder, stir again thoroughly
- Add Frozen Juice concentrate and mix thoroughly
You can re-use an empty water bottle to carry a lot on REALLY long runs. I use a gel flask…the seeds are small and soft enough to pass through the nozzle unimpeded.
I use the glass to keep the flask from tipping, and to catch the spill-over should I over-fill it.
It should keep for about two weeks when stored in the fridge…follow common sense when deciding what to do with any unused portion after a run…
Follow the usual rules, don’t try to use this for the first time on race day, hydrate as you usually would..etc…
Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Have a Muddy Christmas!
Stay Muddy My Friends!